Sunday, August 01, 2010

Dumb Me…!

I did something stupid this Saturday and just realized how dumb I am…! Anyone who knows me and has travelled some distance with me knows that I am direction challenged. Never do I get the right-left right… east n west are the same to me, be it anytime, day or night! This situation is heightened when I am in the train and keep wondering till the last minute which side the platform will come. But this Saturday, the blunder I committed really takes the cake…!!
Now before I narrate my bungle, let me give u a simple overview of the western Mumbai suburbs around Borivali where I live:

(Virar end) Dahisar-->Borivali-->Kandivali-->Malad-->Malwani (Andheri end)

On Saturday I had to run an errand at my bank in Kandivali. I also had a visit to the dentist due. I decided to kill 2 birds with 1 stone, go to the bank and later take the bus route 207 (Malwani<-->Dahisar, via kandivali and borivali) to reach the dentist. I also took a single day bus pass of Rs.20 by virtue of which I could travel any Mumbai suburb on that day without further paying for tickets.

Work at the bank done, I crossed to the other side and immediately got a 207. Because of my pass, I didn’t have to tell the conductor where I needed to go. The bus was nearly empty. I sat at a window seat enjoying the rains outside. Surprisingly, I noticed quite a few burqa clad girls in the bus, a rarity in the borivali-kandivali area.

10 mins later I noticed that till then I had not passed any place I felt familiar. The area looked new to me. But I attributed this to my general lack of direction and the fact that I had not used this route in a long time. 20 mins down, I passed a popular Mumbai college, Atharva, which is in Malad.

I got confused… do we have to pass Malad again to get to Dahisar in 207? Common sense told me that that was not possible. Means I am in the right bus, but the wrong direction. Oops!!! I wanted to ask someone and confirm my fears, but to do so would mean a total loss of face… wont they laugh at me! Then I had a brainwave. I asked the schoolgirl sitting next to me:

Yeh bus malwani jaa rahi hai na?
Haan, 207 hai na, malwani jaayegi!

I was totally taken aback! Malwani is a known muslim ghetto (check out Chandan Arora’s recent movie ‘Striker’ set in Malwani). I started thinking what to do. I had never visited the area before and was hoping that I could get back in the right direction soon.

I got down at the very next stop, not at all sure where I was. But I crossed the road hoping a 207 for Dahisar would come soon. A few minutes of waiting later, a 207 came. I thanked my lucky stars and got in, this time sure that I had the direction right (obviously, there was no other option :-P).

I reached the dentist just in time for my appointment, thanks to the detour I took. Anyway, the incident is too embarrassing for me, hence disclosing it only on my blog… ;-) I am actually very smart, just on a few occasions do I end up making an ass of myself, so please, kissi se na kehna ki Saturday ko Sri gadhi ban gayi…!!!

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 8:50 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Hahaha! Good one.

Sometimes oversmartness kills.

 
At 9:57 PM , Blogger mythalez said...

once, a friend and i got onto the rightly numbered bus. We were on the steps at the entrance.
Soon after we got in, a man ran and got into the bus and asked us whether the bus was going to Nampally. We strongly said no, and that it was going in the other direction. Poor guy got off the running bus. Ofcourse, soon after, we realised that he was right, and we, in fact, had got in the bus going the other direction :D.

so in your defence, at least you did not cause trouble to others! :P

 
At 11:07 AM , Blogger Viren Shah said...

Yup "SRI GADHI BAN GAYI"! Lol!

 
At 12:19 PM , Blogger SRILAXMI said...

Bharat,

Yup... learnt the hard way!

Mythalez,

Thanx a ton for not laughing at me and, in fact, sharing ur incident here! U r a gem.

Viren,

Kaha tha na ki aise mat kaho... phir kyu kaha? :-(

SRI

 
At 5:24 PM , Blogger aradhanaparab said...

Thank you for sharing the information, i have got the best information. dentists in thane

 
At 4:23 PM , Blogger Health Tech Software said...

Thank you for sharing the information, i have got the best information. Dental Practice Management software

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home