Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The Train

Before u press the panic buttons, let me explain, this is not a review of the Emraan Hashmi starrer released a few years back… (o u didn’t remember it, sorry!!!). This post is about the lifeline of all Mumbaikars… n now, since I m a certified ‘Mubaikar’, it is my duty to introduce u to the most happening thing here… The Mumbai Local Train…!!!

Trains for me used to be blue with narrow entrances which would take me to my Naani in Mumbai. But now, the train is my daily workout session… The Mumbai local can teach u to dodge 3 women shouting abuses at each other even while u have ur ears plugged in with the FM playing ‘Mumbai Local’ with RJ Mantra AND the latest ‘People’ Mag in ur hand AND standing on one foot (PHEW…!!!). My arms r now much better toned than 3 years back due to holding the railing with dear life and my feet r much more nimble due to regularly jumping into running trains for want of the elusive seat.

The Mumbai local is a 9/12 coach train with general compartments (1st and 2nd class, for all), ladies compartments (1st and 2nd class for ladies), luggage compartments (for the famous dabbawallahs and also bhaji wallahs and phool wallahs) and the Handicapped compartment (within which u mostly find perfectly normal people who want some peaceful travel and also know to dodge the TC). It is on an average filled to five or six times its capacity with the rest of the hapless public on the footboards or doing a ‘Chaiyya Chaiyya’ on the roof. I have the privilege of travelling in the 2nd class ladies compartment. Travelling is similar to watching an Abbas Mustan movie… the twists n turns r unpredictable, the dialogues trashy, n there is not a single low moment…!!!

But the ladies coach also gives u ‘train friends’ i.e. people who travel with u daily… u may not know their names or what they do… but u know that if u faint in the heat or get hit while entering, they will swoop down on u n take care of u till u reach ur destination.
For a small towner, the Mumbai local might be overwhelming… but just for some time… once u get the hang of it, u r sold… and u don’t want to travel any other way for the rest of ur Mumbai life… the Mumbai local is a racy pacy thriller which does not shy from adding that little sub plot in between… a song, a tender scene… something which gives u a peek into the soul of the blockbuster…

And that why, the Mumbai Local Train is what it is…a SUPERHIT…!!!

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 11:18 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Ohh Srilaxmi!!its very difficult to travel in those local trains in mumbai.. u reminded me of one such incident which happened years back when i was in 6th standard and the mumbai local trains was a new experience to me..! i was equally shocked seeing the crowd at Andheri station as my mom and sis were and my uncle trying to tell us that we need to make our way thru this crowd to get inside in a span of 5 secs??!!and before i realised wot was happening.. i was der inside the train in tears!!!.. my legs were hurting very badly.. My uncle sumhow made it thru the crowd seeing me cry..n all i had to angrily say is that sumbody pushed me.. uncle gave a gentle smile on his face..:)..Dont worry..its me who pushed u!!! :):):) Local trains -mumbai... God!!!!!its scary! :)

 
At 11:57 PM , Blogger NiShA said...

For me its fun filled..amusing annoying....frightening....cheering....sobbing...all in all.....An exasperating yet inevitable part of life;-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home