Thursday, June 01, 2006

Reservations About Reservation.

It is ages since I wrote a general post. Now that I am sufficiently charged up to write something, it is about the done-to-death-in-the-media topic of reservation. Why this? Because, I have seen this issue first hand, being a professional graduate from Kerala.

My understanding of reservations in educational institutions and jobs is that they were given to aid in the upliftment of weaker sections of society. A very noble thought indeed. In the olden days, when the upper castes completely held fort, certain sections of society were very much oppressed, so that, it was impossible to see them on par with their upper caste counterparts. With the help of such reservations, a lot many got access to education, jobs and other facilities which helped them improve their quality of life to a great extent.

Now we come to the issue of 2nd and 3rd generation beneficiaries of reservation. These are the people whose parents and grandparents have already benefited from reservation and have quite a cushioned existence today. They cannot be distinguished from their upper caste counterparts and, as per the logic in the previous paragraph, don’t actually need reservation. But, the rule gives reservations on basis of caste, as in the recent government order. Has everyone totally forgotten the real reason behind reservations?

I recently saw on NDTV students who put forth the thought that reservations will only get you a seat, unless you are capable of taking the stress of the studies, you will not get anywhere. How true…

Let me share what I have seen. In my engineering class, there were 2-3 seats reserved for the SC/ST. but, the 2 students who got in through this reservation were found totally incapable of professional education. I have no contact with one, but the other is in touch with me. She is still trying to clear some arrears in various semesters. Till date, she never cleared a single paper in the first attempt. She is not a bad student, but maybe, just not capable of this…

She is not an isolated case. I have seen many others in my college get through piggy backing on reservation and messing up their lives. But I have seen others also, eg. my neighbor, who got an astounding 300 odd rank in the medical entrance and making it in the general category itself, even though eligible for reservation. Nothing can be a substitute for hard work. Reservation can only get a horse to water, drinking or not is the horse’s prerogative…

Personally, I feel that reservation should be given on the basis of economic standing alone. There are a lot of upper castes who are economically backward and unable to make it in general category seats. Don’t you feel they should be given some kind of reservation?

In Kerala, when we fill our application forms for entrance, we have to specify our annual income. If the income is beyond a certain level, you are not eligible for reservation, whatever be your caste. This, I felt was quite the right approach.

But again, here is what I saw. A classmate, whose father was in the gulf, and had annual family income well above the specified limit, managed to get reservation. How? Well, they just got the village officer to sign on the specified documents stating that the income was below the limit. It is that easy. I am not badmouthing anyone. It is just the situation which I am portraying to the best of my knowledge.

Today, people are getting into intercaste marriages just to avail reservation. Recently, there was a case of a doctor who had shown himself to be the adopted son of his house help in order to avail of reservation. The law caught up with him though.

It is understood that granting reservations gives great political mileage to parties. But increasing seats just to accommodate reservation is foolhardy. A look at the infrastructure in most professional colleges will prove this. The existing situation itself is not that great. Then further expansion…

I am not a cynic, but I have no option but think that all the protests will be of no use. Yes, reservation should be there. But the way it is granted should be a transparent process. And with India having celebrated 50 yrs of independence, it is irrelevant to grant reservations purely on the basis of caste.

So I say, I have reservations about reservation!

P.S. The ideas above are my personal opinion. I do not mean to hurt anyone’s sentiments or talk against law. I did 1st yr engineering around 5 years back. The rules might have changed today.

Labels:

11 Comments:

At 3:19 PM , Blogger Amit said...

I totally agree with you.
I think that reservation should be on the basis of your economic condition, but what about this kind of sector in society
If a person is from village (doesn't matter General/SC-ST/OBC), who doesn't have a good basic education facility near. He may not be able to compete with a person living in good city. What about the person living in village? Should he not given a chance?

 
At 8:52 PM , Blogger Paddy said...

Agree too! Although I initially thought economic classification would help - I realize now that it is easier said than done...

But even that is better than what is going on now, I guess...

Cheers,
Paddy

 
At 9:58 AM , Blogger SRILAXMI said...

amit and paddy,
thanx a lot for visiting and sharing your feelings about the reservation issue.
SRI

 
At 1:59 PM , Blogger Chitra Shenoy said...

Hi Sri,

Read ur comments on my post..

I am totally against reservations and hence could not help agreeing with ur ideas..Everyone should be given equal opportunities irrespective of caste or creed..

Hope some sense dawns in the heads of our law makers..

BTW are u from Cochin..I am also from there,but in Blore rite now!!!

Chits

 
At 6:31 AM , Blogger safekerala@gmail.com said...

You are contradicting yourself...
you said 3rd generation of OBC's are enjoying reservation now, and then you mention the example of the only two students who got into through reservation and state that they were not good for the course...
So what does that mean, the only SC St students who were studious enough to atleast write entrance exam were in your own opinion not good, so how can you be sure that the they are in par with the upper class ???
On the other hand a generation is defined as 30 years, we are going through the 2nd generation of reservation, and when 50-70 of the population who were denied basic human rights for centuries try to get out of the social isolation they were in, you are saying that 50 years of reservation has completely undone everything??

 
At 9:57 PM , Blogger Paddy said...

Thx for the visit, and ur comments!

The same thought struck me when I saw your blog! Pretty much identical :D

Carry on blogging!

 
At 9:34 AM , Blogger Neel Arurkar said...

50% is too too much. 10% is kinda okay. And that too is a strict no-no in a private firm. If I own a private firm, the government is no one to tell me whom to recruit. If it starts doing that, I will be more than happy to move my business to China!

 
At 5:17 PM , Blogger SRILAXMI said...

mednetkerala,
we have a similarity - i dint get what u said (in the comment) n neither did u get me (what i wrote in my post!).
i have nothing against resevation, i only want them to reach the right (read - the deserving) students. n seen in this light, i hope my post makes sense to you.
u r free to comment or mail me any number of times. i like to get all aspects of any particular issue. and so, i owe you thanks as you are the only person till now, who has smthng to say agnst what i said.
so thanks.

paddy,
i want to say 'keep visiting', but new posts should be there for that to happen, na!! so here's a promise, as soon as i get back to college, i will resume blogging.
so, keep visiting!!

neel,
thanks for the comment. urs is probably one of the coolest blogs (in terms of content) that i have seen so far...

SRI

 
At 11:49 AM , Blogger DILIP VAMANAN said...

Fine Fine ... But Reservation is some way of discrimination right ...?

Keep your Soul away from it !!

 
At 12:22 AM , Blogger Hari KT said...

Hi,
I 2 agree with some but not full. Getting supply means she is not capable. I 2 no so many who are playing frm collg bcoz of the freedom they r enjoying now.
Reservations should be given not on the basis of caste or community but to the poor. All should be lifted isnt?
Just think a Doctor can only make his son or daughter a Doctor then whats is the case?
We should give reservation but only for their studies. ie after completing the course no one should be given any. Now for govt jobs they are telling.... But these are to be taken away.
So Bye. This is a Nice topic 2 Discuss.

 
At 5:06 PM , Blogger Krishnabhaskar Mangalasserri said...

cool blog ....but have u become lazy..? any way Im adding u on the hope that u will start updating...see my link list...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home