Sunday, August 22, 2010

Call u Later... Bye!

How many times have you heard this exasperating statement which results in getting ur call cut abruptly? And how many times have u said this to hang up on someone? As far as I am concerned, this is one of the most irritating statements I can ever hear on a call, especially when I am talking to someone I care for. A lot of my friends and relatives have the habit of hanging up promising to call back later, never to actually do so. Hence I have come to the conclusion that the above statement is just a means of hanging up in a courteous way – u don’t intend to call back at all, right?


I guess people who use this statement feel that they can dignify an unceremonious hang-up with it. But I am one of those dumbos who wait till eternity for the person to call again. I feel restless and then end up calling him/her back myself, only to realize that the conversation was anyway deemed closed…!!!


I want to ask the people who make this jhootha promise – what do u gain by saying that statement? Won’t it be ok if you just say a bye casually and hang up? Do you think the person on the other end does not understand? Or do you think he/she is so keen to talk to you that he will not hang-up gracefully and hence u have to dangle him the carrot of calling him back later?


So the next time you hear this statement from someone, make sure to ask a time frame within which he will call back (that will stump him!). If you are in the habit of using this statement unthinkingly, please reconsider ur words. And if those words mean nothing to you, whether you hear them or say them, please, can you let me know the secret of being indifferent? ;-)

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 8:08 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Hummmm! It seems that u were angry while writing this post. The person at other end may be busy and would have really forgotten to call back. Or may be u wud have chosen wrong person as ur friend...-)

 
At 12:03 AM , Blogger mythalez said...

well ... sometimes I do call back .. other times, (when I don't really want to continue the talk), I send a mesg instead later ... maybe some days later :D.

"okay .. gotta go.. comment later .. bye"

 
At 11:39 PM , Blogger SRILAXMI said...

Bharat,

Hmmm... coinsidering all ur suggestions... :-) dunno which is applicable!

Mythalez,

Ha! i get the message!

SRI

 
At 7:24 AM , Blogger Viren Shah said...

I am too lazy to call back again... big flaw which i realized in "How to say No to Customer" training..

 
At 11:06 PM , Blogger SRILAXMI said...

Viren,

I m glad that training helped SOMEONE!!!

Thnx for commenting yaar!

SRI

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home