Monday, September 13, 2010

Yeh Rista Kya Kehlata Hai…?

Leave everything a little better than you found it ........be it a situation, a thing or a relation!

In life, we live with a lot of relations – Parents, siblings, friends, spouse, in-laws, kids… it is a long list. But there are also people we come across in life with whom we share relationships which do not come in any conventional category. These relationships are hardly permanent, if they last long they definitely end up in any of the mentioned categories! But these people enrich our lives in a way exclusive to them and then move away… leaving us reaping the benefits of our association with them.

‘Koi sacche khwaab dikhakar, aankho mein sama jaata hai… Yeh rishta kya kehlata hai…?’

I had a classmate during my MBA days who is an apt example of the lines above. I have always described him as a candle which burns willingly giving light to others. Though to others the things he did for his friends would appear normal, not deserving such poetic descriptions, people close to him know what they meant to him.

Whenever hostel life became too heavy for me, I cried on his shoulder. Whenever accounts made no sense to me (being an engg graduate) he helped me out with his notes. Whenever I felt low, he would push me by telling me that I am the best… so much so that, towards the end of my MBA, I had a huge treasure trove of confidence which held me in good stead through my initial struggle in my 1st job. It was he who goaded me into Finance, which I felt I had no aptitude for. So in that sense, what I am today in my career is majorly thanks to him. I could never decide what he really meant to me… hence decided to put it in the nameless relation category… we are not in touch today… and I could never thank him properly for being there for me… but his is one relation I made which will always hold a special place in my life!

A few of my friends have confided in me that they have been close to people, mostly of the opposite sex, with whom they shared platonic relationships which were closer than friendships but shied from getting deeper and after some time, went separate ways. Has this got something to do with the typical Indian mentality which finds it hard to accept long lasting friendships between people of opposite sexes?

A few months back I was on my lowest ebb ever personally. I loved being depressed; I loved snapping at people, I basically was enjoying being a shrew, believing that things will never improve for me. But another nameless relationship raised its head in my life.

‘Tum jo aaye, zindagi mein, baat ban gayi’

What all things had I forgotten in my life which I really loved doing? For starters, he kicked me into restarting blogging. Though a lot many people had earlier advised me to do it, the way he persuaded I felt I just had to do it. Once I restarted writing, I felt like myself again. What things are necessary to keep me happy? Well, according to him, 5 things:

1. Wear good clothes
2. Listen to soothing music
3. Read nice books
4. Think good thoughts
5. Don’t forget good days

Too simple? Maybe, but once I started trying to follow them, I found myself feeling that much better about myself! Today, I am no more the wreck I was a few months back… I am living my second chance (as I said in my earlier post) and am trying to find my own happiness…

‘Tujh mein rab dikhta hai, yaara main kay karoon?’

I have been lucky to have had these beautiful people in my life… but their real success will be if I can continue the tempo they provided me even after they go their way… Thanks Guys for being there for me…!!!

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 12:21 AM , Blogger mythalez said...

hmm .. and wat about your contributions to their lives and others' lives? Am sure there would be some, similar to this, perhaps even unknown to you! :)

 
At 7:56 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Humm! Good one.

 
At 1:04 PM , Blogger ~ M ~ said...

Quite true.. Srilaxmi.. Nicely put..
And I agree with the 5 things ur frnd told u to do.. It makes a difference :)

 
At 10:46 PM , Blogger SRILAXMI said...

Mythalez,

hmmm... thats a perspective i havent probed... thnx... will surely think abt it n the results shld make me feel better abt myself!

Bharat,

Thnx... as usual!

M,

The frnd is amazed that his random thoughts have such resonance...

Keep visitng and commenting!

SRI

 
At 5:16 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

He! Baddu hatke chhe...

Niice yaar..

 
At 10:12 PM , Blogger SRILAXMI said...

Shruti,

Thnx for the appreciation...!

SRI

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home