Saturday, November 06, 2010

How Old are You?

Bryan Adams once famously sang ’18 till I die!’… My observation about age is that, one is never fully content with what age he/she currently is… some want to be younger, some wish they could be older… but I feel that life in the 20s really rocks… doesn’t it?

Teenagers always find themselves fraught with problems and confusions which seem to be all important. They then wish to get out of the teens and into the 20s soon.

People who cross 30 feel they are closer to being over the hill now… 30 is the scary number (even for me!) which signifies the entry into a new decade of life closer to the ‘middle ages’. I am sure people in their 30s feel like going back into the 20s… (I definitely would!)

What is it about the 20s which is so attractive? For one, I feel that the 20s decade is very eventful in any person’s life. It sees him move from student life to work life and (usually) then married life. It is the decade where there is a delightful balance of freedom and responsibility. If teenage keeps one under the thumb of parents, the 20s signifies the age of breaking free especially when one starts working thereby becoming financially independent. Also, one attains a maturity in being responsible for himself and learns to make his own decisions and stick by them.

The 20s is also usually the age when one finds companionship in the form of spouse/partner. Life changes a lot then but is still enjoyable in its new phase. There is possibility of self discovery along with getting to know your partner.

I am currently in the latter part of 20s and still enjoying this phase of my life. But of course, opinions on this differ. I have a friend who loves posh cars. He always makes an observation when we pass a posh car on our way – he says that most posh cars (merc, BMW, etc) are usually driven by drivers and ply paunchy old men. In the 20s, we have age on our side, with the energy and desire to drive on roads in any car we like… but we lack the money for it… :- ) and finally when we make money, age is not on our side and we acquire whatever we wish to (be it car or whatever) but have to depend on others, like drivers. How true na?

We always hear statements like ‘Age is just a number, u are only as old as u feel!’… as for me, I love being in this phase and if feeling 20 always will keep me there forever… I m willing to give it a try!

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 3:49 PM , Blogger mythalez said...

I m just hoping that by the time I turn 30, i get bored of 20s :D

 
At 7:44 PM , Blogger प्रेम सरोवर said...

Your observation is quite right. I am so fascinated to go through your article that I want to revert back to 30. Very authentic post.Please come to my blog and post your comment.Thanks.

 
At 11:51 AM , Blogger Viren Shah said...

What ever age you are just be child like - ALWAYS!.
If you want to go back to any phase of your past life then you are not satisfied with what you today. We need to see all past and your self as a character in play and you observe this with eye of child life would be much more cherishing...
so be "New born till I die" :)

 
At 11:13 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

good one..!

 
At 11:15 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

nice one......

 
At 10:58 PM , Blogger SRILAXMI said...

Mythalez,

Me hope so too...!

Prem, Bharat & Shruti,

Thanx a ton guys!

Viren,

U have given a new dimension to my post yaar... thanx a lot!

SRI

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home