Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Astrology or Asstrology?

I’d seen this title for many articles debating on the merits of astrology. And I felt it to be appropriate. Is it right let astrology influence your life or is it plain foolish to believe in it?
Most Indian communities use astrology to define their day-to-day life. In the south, people wait for the auspicious hour for doing important jobs and refrain from starting any work during the inauspicious ‘rahu kalam’.
Usually, any function is scheduled a certain day after ascertaining its suitability by consulting an almanac. Again, on that auspicious day, a further favorable time called the ‘muhurtam’ has to be found out. And during this doubly fortunate time, the function is carried out.
Horoscopes play a major role in deciding the future course of action of a particular individual. I remember how my dad consulted his astrologer a few months back to find out whether I was destined for future studies or marriage. Thankfully, the stars were in my favor and I was ‘allowed’ to study further!
Again, marriage between 2 individuals is more of a meeting of horoscopes than minds. There are various levels of matching, uttam, madhyam, or lower. And the uttam is most preferred.
There is also the issue of the birth star. The lunar sun sign is found out on the basis of your birth star and after ascertaining it, you are all set to read or see your bhavishyavani in magazines or on TV.
A rational person may argue against all these superstitions. I mean, there may be thousands of other people born on the same day and time as me! Does that mean all of us will lead the same lives? It must be common knowledge that these predictions only sometimes come true. And even after conducting marriages after matching horoscopes and ascertaining an auspicious time, why is it that there are divorces, widows and widowers still?
My dad, a doctor, believes in astrology, horoscopes and the like. I once asked him why, as a science man, he believes in all this mumbo-jumbo. But dad has an answer - dad says that horoscopes are like pointers to the future, if they point out some problems, isn’t it easier to face life cautiously? He feels that astrology points out potholes on a road – once they are identified, it is easier to drive.
Nowadays, sun signs are fashionable to use. I have seen shows on MTV dedicated to deciphering sun signs. The concept of star partners is always discussed. I personally feel that I make great friends with Scorpios or Geminis usually. Common sense tells me that this may just be a great coincidence.
Bottom line is, one cannot take sides here. A pure non-believer of astrology may be hard to find. I guess astrology helps people keep their peace by giving them an ostrich attitude.
Astrology is apparently a science. It is believed to have scientific basis. But I really wonder whether we are being sensible by believing that the positions of certain airless desolate spheres in the universe, commonly called stars/planets influence our life.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 12:18 PM , Blogger Adarsh A. Varghese said...

Nice Blog! Makes interesting reading!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home