Thursday, May 26, 2005

First Time at the Wheel

‘The Scaredy Cat’ gives a great example of how I am capable of getting scared at the most normal occurrences. Another of my major fears has been the accelerator, as in, accelerator of the 2 wheeler, car…. I have always had a small case of motorophobia (if there is such a thing!).
I have always been a late starter as far as vehicles are concerned. I could never drive a bicycle properly, and so never mustered up courage to get a 2-wheeler license. I remember the time I’d banged into a neighboring house’s compound wall while ‘driving’ the scooter. Though I escaped unhurt, I managed to break the front brakes of the scooter. Most of my friends who drive tell me that they have had worse accidents. But after that one incident, I vowed to always be just a pillion rider.
But my dad just wouldn’t hear the excuses anymore. He has always been insistent that I at least learn car driving. And this time, I had to obey him.
So, I met the driving school people. When dad was out of earshot, I told them of my fears. They said, that’s ok; we’ll take care of it.
With great apprehensions I sat in the car the next day. I was shown the clutch, break and accelerator. I was shown how to accelerate. I was told how to turn the steering wheel and how to hold it (at an angle like the 10:10 on the clock, if you please!). And then I was asked to take the wheel. Just like that. Sir assured me that he had the controls on his side as well. Just not enough to assure me!!
But then, I started off. And …. I just wanted to go on and on. What is so scary about driving, I now ask myself. In future, I’ll drive my own car. No waiting for auto rickshaw, taxi or bus as I do today. And so, I want to learn driving well.
I look forward to the driving everyday. ‘Coz, I’m not scared of the accelerator anymore!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home