Monday, June 27, 2005

Pure Enjoyment

I’m back after a week in Mumbai. And what fun!! I sincerely feel that life in the Metros is seriously LIFE. There is always somewhere to go, something to do, everyone seems to always be in a hurry to go somewhere, do something. I love visiting Madras and Bangalore, but Mumbai is definitely my favorite city (I was born there after all!).
But other than the fun part, the trip was a great experience also. This was the first time I stayed away from my parents for so long. I mean, the only other time was the 2 day picnic I’d gone on in my 3rd sem. Actually, it turned out to be quite a trial run for my upcoming hostel stay.
AND, I got a few kicks looking at the incredulous faces of people who were shocked that I was undertaking this ‘long’ and ‘dangerous’ journey alone. Over here, my neighbors and relatives regularly came up with news items where girls traveling alone on trains had been robbed/killed/…en route. My mom did develop cold feet, regretting her decision to let me go. But all said and done, I’m back after the ‘dangerous and long’ trip with only nice memories!
My relatives who I was meeting after around 5 years were extremely nice. I usually do not form a very good impression on my relatives and my mom has to always listen to comments like – your daughter is arrogant/ rude/… and please ask her to behave well. But over the years, I would like to believe that I have changed, for the better. And the only comment my mom heard about me was from my maasi who said that I was very stingy!!
It is surprising how such a small thing like a trip like this can teach you things. When I found my practically stranded at Kurla station with no one having come to pick me up, I did face a few moments of panic. Here I was, in a city of which I have no knowledge, with my mobile charge drained out and 2 heavy bags of luggage!! Should I call a rickshaw (but if he takes me around whole Mumbai before dropping me off at Pestom, I wouldn’t realize!) or should I wait? Finally, I made a call from a PCO home and my mom called up her relatives to come to pick me up!!
AND, I realized that along with your luggage, your sandals/chappals are also like targets for robbery. On the return journey, I had the good sense to keep all the 5 bags of luggage on the upper berth, which left very little space for me to actually lie on. But the next morning, I realized that my black sandals (bought from Bangalore in February), which I’d left on the floor, were gone!!
But now I’m back home and faced with a different kind of hurry – I have to leave for Kochi by the 10th of July and so, now I have to get all the required things and packing done!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home