Friday, April 15, 2005

Future Secure!!

On the 4th of April I received the GD/PI call from SSTM, an institute considered the best in Kerala after the IIM at Kozhikode. GD/PI on the 11th. But preparations were put on hold till the 9th, as I had my internals from the 6th to 9th.
Internals done, I immediately switched over to GD/PI preparations. VAT, Union Budget, check. Wen Jiabao visit, Sino-Indian ties, all check. Who knows what they might ask?
11th April, 8:30 am, SCMS campus, Muttom, Alwaye. Around 50 students registered for GD. Just 50 students for 60 seats? Before my mind could travel for long in that direction, I was in for a surprise, 30 seats have already been filled in the first session; today’s GD is only for 10 seats!! WHAT?!! I wanted healthy competition, but this, no!
10:30 am, GD. We were a group of 9. 2 topics were given of which one was to be selected by the group. ‘MNCs are devils in disguise’ (frankly, what is that?) and ‘Foreign channels are destroying Indian culture’. We chose the latter. Though all of us opposed this presumption, we managed to have a wholehearted discussion.
GD over, we were led to a room to wait in before the PI. ‘Srilaxmi’, said the announcement and I went into the room for my first ever PI.

[The Panel: Mr.1, Mr2, Mr.3, Madam 4]

Mr.2: Which part of Kerala is your native place in?
Me: Malabar, Sir.
Mr.1: What is your ambition?
Me: Someday, I would like to be a decision maker in a company.

[Then discussion about decision makers and about the life of a computer engineer.]

Mr. 3: Do you know about the Coca-Cola Company in Palakkad?

[Here, I was surprised. After all the preparation that I’d done, they ask me this?]

Me: Yes, Sir. The Coca-Cola Factory is said to be destroying the eco-balance of the environment in Placchimeda, Palakkad.
Mr.2: I think you are unaware about the High Court order?
Me: [thank you for reminding me!] Sir, I’m aware that the High Court has granted permission for the Factory to continue there. But I personally feel that the voice of the people should’ve been given importance.

[Then discussion for 5 minutes regarding the Moral Responsibilities of Business, pollution watch, employee welfare, etc.]

Madam 4: Your birthday is on the 11th of September? Ha ha! [Everyone laughs.]


[Then some discussion regarding my interests, house activities in school and the like.]

Mr.3: You may go now.
Me: Thank You.

Phew! In the office around an hour later, waiting for the results. Surprisingly, I’m pretty cool.
And the result is announced. The students selected: Manoj, Hari and SRILAXMI!!
I am so happy and relieved that I can’t speak. Dad congratulates me. I immediately call mum and give her the news. I thank God.
This is a real dream come true for me!!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home