Monday, November 28, 2005

A Unique Childrens' Day

Our director decided to make this Childrens' day a memorable one for us by giving us the chance to bring cheer into the lives of little orphans, albeit for a short time. So it was decided that we would be visiting orphanages in groups. My group decided on the orphanage 'Matruchhaya'.

I had been to 'Shanthigiri' old age home earlier. It was a sad experience as the structure was dilapidated and the inmates desolate. But 'Matruchhaya' was much better. It has actually been set up in the erstwhile palace of Shri Sakthan Thampuran. The kids were extremeley well behaved and would say namaste on seeing us. We then had a formal introduction session. The way the kids were reciting their name, native place and period of being in the home made me feel that they have been through this drill many times before....

Later, the kids gave a display of their talents by singing, mimicking, etc. Must say they are very talented and so unselfconscious presenting before strangers....

There were kids from ages 7 to 17. 3 of the kids were blind. They showed us their textboks, guides, etc which had all been converted into braille. One of them is preparing for his tenth std board exam.....

I found the kids to be very intelligent also. They all wanted to play with our mobiles and were asking pertinent questions regarding the brand and the model.

Later, they were overjoyed to get balloons and sweets from us. We had lunch with them and we served them food. The management says that this way, they ensure that the kids do not experience the lack of a family.

A 4th std boy called Nidhin was very interested in asking me cute riddles in malayalam. Considering my knowledge of malayalam, I was finding the questions extremely tough and the kids were enjoying having fun at my expense.

But the sad part came a few minutes later. Nidhin told me that it was his birthday 2 days back. He told me that he spent the entire day in hospital. The reason, he has a hole in the heart valve. And doctors are dissuading him from getting an operation........

Soon it was time to leave. Nidhin was almost on the verge of tears. Like most others, he is not an orphan, but sent to orphanage by parents because they have no means to bring him up.

We left the orphanage with a heavy heart. I was feeling sad for those kids who get visitors like us every saturday, but must be sad and lonely on other days. This visit told me just how lucky I am to have a happy home, loving parents and all luxuries........

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 6:29 PM , Blogger MS said...

That was heart-wrenching. Yes you are absolutely right in saying that people like us are really lucky that we've not faced such hardships.

It was a good one from you SriLakshmi....

BTW I am new to this Blogging fraternity.....and am really liking this a lot......In fact to tell you the truth, got a link to your blog somewhere; started off reading your posts N from there on its been a unstoppable flow 4 me too...Juz signed up with blogspot and got going myself....Have also recently published my first post.

Nyways...Thanks once again 4 your blogs....which turned out 2 be a unintended source of inspiration 4 me.

 
At 9:59 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

a very touching post ... saw many things similar like these when I was in nss ...
at times things are just so unfair to so many of them...

 
At 9:14 AM , Blogger SRILAXMI said...

dear het n rakesh,
thank you so much for the appreciation. this post was written in a hurry but i m happy i was able to convey what it felt like....

dear ms,
thanks a lot for the huge compliment... i remember how i started blogging, inspired by one of my friends... great to see u like my blog!!

 
At 6:09 PM , Blogger MadV said...

Yes. When we see those struggling in hardships we feel how lucky we are. Good to hear that could make those kids happy.

BTW I have tagged you by the 'Seven Tag'. Hope you have not taken this before.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home